EN15048 is an European standard that specifies the general requirements for non-preloaded structural bolts. Bolted connections in accordance with this European standard are designed for use in structural bolted connections for shear and/or tensile loads. The use of bolted connections in accordance with this European standard is particularly applicable in metal structures.
Application EN15048 standard
It applies to bolts (the term used when partial threaded bolts, screws, studs and studs are considered as a whole) and nuts made of carbon steel or alloy steel with the following classes of ownership:
- carbon steel and alloy steel bolts: 4.6, 4.8, 5.6, 5.8, 6.8, 8.8, 10.9 (in accordance with EN ISO 898-1);
- carbon and alloy steel nuts: 5, 6, 8, 10, 12 (in accordance with EN ISO 898 2).
This European standard applies to bolted connections with ISO metric threads:
- M12 to M39 (for use in steel constructions according to EN1090-2);
- M5 to M39 (for use in aluminium or aluminium alloy structures according to EN1090-3).
The use of threads with a diameter greater than M39 is not excluded, provided that all applicable requirements of this standard are met.
The manufacturer shall deliver the bolted connections in an original unopened single sealed box or in original unopened single sealed separated boxes. The suitability of the tensile load of the bolted assemblies delivered to the purchaser must be demonstrated with the tensile test in accordance with the corresponding standard. The bolted connections must be supplied according to one of the following alternatives:
- a) Bolts and nuts shall be supplied as a set by one manufacturer. The components for the bolted connections must be packedtogether in a single package, which is labelled with the batch number of one bolted connection and the manufacturer's identification. The test shall be carried out on each individual batch of bolted joints;
- b) Bolts and nuts shall be supplied by a single manufacturer. Each type of component may be packedin separate packages which shall be labelled with the number of the production batch and the manufacturer's identification. The components of bolted connections are interchangeable within the delivery of an extended batch of bolted connections. The test shall be carried out on each batch of an expanded bolted joint.
- Only bolted connections are covered by this harmonised standard: loose bolts or nuts that have not been tested as part of a batch of bolted connections in accordance with EN15048-2 are not covered by this harmonised standard and cannot be CE marked.
- Property classification 4.8, 5.8 and 6.8 may be subject to restrictions on use.
- High quality (HV) preload tensioning bolted connections that meet the requirements of EN 14399-1 do not fall within the scope of this European standard, but are also suitable for use in non-preloaded bolted connections for metal structures.
- EN 15048 does not specify dimensions, tolerances on dimensions, shape and position that must comply with the relevant product standards.
The general references to published standards (ref. to EN 15048-1, EN 1090-2, EN 1993-1-8) are:
- Hex bolts: ISO 4014, 4016, 4017, 4018, 4032, 4033, 4034
- Hexagon nuts: ISO 2320, 7040, 7041, 7042, 7719, 10511, 10512, 10513
- Washers: ISO 7089, 7090, 7091, 7092, 7093, 7094